We all are in a hurry somedays, but don’t want to leave the house without some really good food right?
And with good food, I mean really delicious comfort food. Oh yes..
But everybody is serving dahl with rice and pita or naan bread so you know whats running through my head? Why not stuffing it inside the bread and take with me?!
Yeah, thats what I did, and it worked perfectly. But lets start at the beginning.
Aka homemade pita bread.
Its so so simple, with just a few ingredients like you want to make homemade bread just roll them up and there’ll pop up in the oven. Thats such a funny moment! And actually there’ll hold the blown shape but somehow I managed to store them in a too small bag and well they squeezed together.
But they tasted anyway!
And this brings me to the inside. Mmhh yes, this time I used red lentils as base and tomatoes, sweet potatoes and final chopped some fresh herbs.
Oh how I loved it, I went back just to take another pocket with me…
What you need:
150 grams Basmati Rice
1/2 tsp salt
300 ml water
red lentil dahl:
80 grams red lentils
150 ml water+100 ml more
2 tsp oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 medium finely diced sweet potato
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp red chili powder
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp turmeric
1 can chopped tomatoes
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
homemade pita bread:
300 grams whole wheat flour
150 ml luck warm water
2 tbsp oil
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 packet yeast
flour for dusting
- Rinse and drain rice.
- Then place in a saucepan, add water and salt cover with a lid and bring to boil. Lower the heat and cook gently for about 30 minutes or until tender and all the water has been absorbed.
- In mixing bowl take luck warm water, add sugar, yeast, mix it well and cover it for 10 minutes.
- Once yeast mixture becomes bubbly and foamy, add salt, oil and mix it with a spoon.
- Now add flour, mix well, knead it and make a smooth, soft dough.
- Cover it and keep aside for 30-35 minutes in warm place or till becomes double.
- Meanwhile preheat oven and divide the dough into small size balls, cover it and keep aside.
- Take one ball, dust it with flour, roll it and make round circle shaped disk.
- Once all balls are done, place the prepared disks into the oven and bake it for 7-8 minute or till become fluffy and golden brown.
- Once it baked perfectly remove it from the oven and cool it down.
Red lentil dahl:
- Rinse the lentils under running water.
- Transfer to a saucepan and add water, bring to boil.
- Lower the heat and cook gently for about 20-30 minutes or until tender and all the water has been absorbed.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, add oil and sauté onion until softened. Add sweet potato, sauté for about 5 minutes and reduce heat to low.
- Add chili, cooked lentils, coriander, cumin and ground ginger to pan. Add tomatoes and 100 ml water and let shimmer until potatoes are soft, for about 15 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt, and continue to simmer until mixture has thickened, about 10 minutes. If its too soupy, increase heat and cook even longer.
- To serve, sprinkle with chopped parsley, place in a fresh pita pocket with rice on the other side.